Timeline of the Fall
All dates are given in reference to the Fall. BF = Before the Fall. AF = After the Fall. (e.g., BF 10 = 10 years before the Fall.)
- Crisis grips the globe in the form of drastic climate changes, energy shortages, and geopolitical instability.
- Initial space expansion creates stations at the Lagrange Points, Luna, and Mars, with robotic exploration of the entire system.
- Construction begins on a space elevator.
- Medical advances improve health and organ repair. The rich pursue gene-fixing and transgenic pets.
- Computer intelligence capabilities equal and exceed that of the human brain. True AI not yet developed.
- Robotics become widespread and start to replace/invalidate many jobs.
- Modern nations expand their high-speed wireless networks.
- Efforts to undertake megascale geoengineering on Earth cause as many problems as they fix.
- Major colonies established on the Moon and Mars; outposts established near Mercury, Venus, and the Belt. Explorers reach Pluto.
- First space elevator on Earth finished. Two others in progress. Space traffic booms.
- Mass driver built on the Moon.
- Terraforming of Mars begins.
- Fusion power developed and working plants established.
- Genetic enhancements, gene therapies (for longevity), and cybernetic implants become available to the wealthy and powerful.
- First non-autonomous AIs are secretly developed and quickly put to use in research and netwar.
- Experience playback (XP) technology developed and put into public use.
- Violence and destabilization wrack the Earth; some conflicts spread into space.
- Argonauts split from hypercorps, taking resources to autonomist habitats.
- Space expansion opens up legal/ethical loopholes for tech development and allows for increased direct human experimentation.
- Human cloning becomes possible and available in some areas.
- Development of first transhuman species.
- First dolphins and chimpanzees uplifted to sapience.
- Fusion-drive spacecraft enter common usage.
- Extended colonization and terraforming of Mars continues. Belt and Titan colonized. Stations established throughout the system.
- The starving masses volunteer themselves for indentured servitude on hypercorp space projects.
- Augmented reality becomes widespread.
- Most networks transformed into self-repairing mesh networks.
- Personal AI aides become widespread.
- Earth continues to suffer, but the pace of technology allows for some interesting developments.
- Expansion throughout the system, even into the Kuiper Belt.
- Transhuman species become widespread.
- Nanotech assemblers become available, but are strictly controlled and jealously guarded by the elite and powerful.
- Uploading and the digital emulation of memory and consciousness made possible.
- More species (gorillas, orangutans, octopi, ravens, parrots) uplifted to sapience.
- Pods see common usage, amid some controversy.
- The TITANs evolve from a high-level distributed netwar experiment into self-improving seed AIs. For the first few days, their existence is unsuspected. They advance their awareness, knowledge, and power exponentially, infiltrating the mesh both on Earth and around the system.
- Large-scale netwar incursions break out between rival states on Earth, sparking numerous conflicts. These attacks are later blamed on the TITANs.
- Simmering tensions on Earth escalate into outright hostilities and warfare.
- Massive netwar breaks out and major systems crash as TITANs begin open attacks, also using autonomous war machines.
- Conflict quickly spirals out of control. The use of nuclear, biological, chemical, digital, and nanotech weapons reported by all sides.
- TITANs engage in mass forced uploading of human minds.
- TITAN attacks expand to other parts of solar system, heaviest on the Moon and Mars. Numerous habitats also fall.
- TITANs suddenly disappear from system, taking millions of uploaded minds with them.
- The Earth is left a devastated wasteland, a patchwork of radiation hotspots, sterile zones, nanoswarm clouds, roaming war machines, and other unknown and hidden things among the ruins.
- A wormhole gateway is discovered on Saturn’s moon Pandora, left by the TITANs. Four others are later found (in the Vulcanoids, on Mars, on Uranus, and in the Kuiper Belt); these are collectively referred to as “Pandora Gates.”
- Expeditions are sent to extrasolar worlds via the Pandora Gates. Numerous exoplanet colonies established.
- An attempt to raise a generation of children using force-grown clones and time-accelerated VR fails miserably when most of the children die or go insane. Dubbed the Lost Generation, the survivors are viewed with repugnance and pity.
AF 10Present day.